We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an extraordinary commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. You will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help craft the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Developers in the restaurant-side of our Payments organization are responsible for delivering and operating the parts of our product that take, and process payments on our point-of-sale. We are constantly looking to improve the user experience as well as add support for new payments hardware and payment methods. We analyze requirements, write code, roll out changes safely, and monitor operational metrics to ensure we build products that delight our customers. We are looking for someone to help lead and manage our efforts to support our developers.
As an Engineering Manager, you are the technical and people steward for a small set of teams. Your job is to make sure your teams win and that they are increasing their capacity to win over time. You love finding ways to make your teams more efficient. You help connect their work to our broader mission. You care deeply about helping the people whom you manage grow into effective, compassionate engineers. You are interested in the technical work, with enough experience to make sure that engineers are moving in the right direction. On a given day, you might be reviewing design documents for the new Android patterns or the code implementing those patterns, coordinating discussions between your teams, hardware or external vendors, and conducting 1:1s.
Here are some things that Engineering Managers here have done in the past to drive impact within their teams and across the organization:
- Coach individual contributors to ensure they are their best selves
- Guide teams to build systems that will scale for the next order of magnitude of growth
- Scale and re-factor teams to meet business needs while balancing the goals of individuals on those teams
- Coordinate Lunch and Learn topics across the engineering organization
- Manage the co-op and intern program
- Participate in our mentorship program
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Comfort with a rapidly changing business and technical environment
- Experience writing, delivering, and operating software in a SaaS environment
- Enjoy hopping into new codebases and finding your way around
- A history of mentoring and growing successful teams
- A bias towards action, with the ability to balance getting things done with making things perfect
- An open mind toward different software engineering methodologies and project management processes
- A strong sense of empathy, for our customers and for the people you work with
- A desire to build a diverse team that wins together and does the right thing for the customer’s success
Our Tech Stack
Our products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Our platform stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. Our main POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.