We are on a mission to improve the life and longevity of all dogs through science and technology. We will become a global standard of pet care by 2026 through our DNA test.
Our highly rated Dog DNA test allows you to discover your dog more than fur deep with the most comprehensive DNA test on the market. Designed by world leaders in dog genetics, in partnership with Cornell University, our DNA Test tells owners what breeds make up their pets, how to prevent future possible health problems, and what features and traits their pet might have.
We have seen exponential growth, more than doubling year over year, for the last few years. We attribute this to being the only dog DNA test using a research-grade DNA microarray, letting us give our customers the most accurate and comprehensive results on the market. More importantly, it allows us to conduct ongoing research into the genetics of dogs, which are a fantastic population for genetic discovery due to selective breeding over time. Our research focuses on mapping new traits and diseases, improving personalized veterinary medicine, and developing new breeding programs to eliminate preventable diseases in pets.
Interested in joining? We’re looking for highly motivated and driven employees who will join us as we lead the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
About the Team
On the web development team, you will craft delightful digital experiences with Product Management and Design partners that span a full vertical slice, from UI to backend. This is one of the most exciting times to join our company!
This year the team will:
- Evolve our architecture to enable us to continue to scale exponentially
- Bring to life new and exciting business developments that are bringing us closer to ending preventable disease in dogs
- Compound the delightful experiences we provide to our highly rated products.
What You’ll Do
Senior Software Engineers lead by example through development of high quality, easy to maintain features and enhancements. They have broad experience and excel in a few areas where they have deep, passionate experience.
- Lead delivery of well designed and scoped solutions in collaboration with our Product and Design partners throughout the full web stack
- Deliver clean, efficient, maintainable code, as well as thorough tests and documentation
- Mentor other software engineers to enable their growth
- Leverage your deep knowledge of our stack to advise your technical leaders how to best tackle problems
- Contribute to improving our technology and development practices via retrospectives and other means, with the goal of continuous improvement of quality and team efficiency
- At least a Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years of professional web development experience
- Deep experience in an area of web development (e.g. CSS, frontend frameworks, SQL databases, networking, etc.)
- Experience with customer-centric product development
- Expertise with SQL relational databases (PostgreSQL)
- Expertise with AWS or similar cloud technologies
- Utilizes CI/CD tools like CircleCI to ensure high quality, efficient delivery of software
- Comfortable working with frontend frameworks like Vue.js
- Understands DevOps, as well as Agile development philosophies
- Willingness to participate in on-call rotation including some weekends and holidays
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
What We Can Offer
- Dog-friendly office near South Station, Boston
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized dog-walking services and paw-ternity leave
- Startup perks with big-company benefits (401k match, commuter benefits, HSA/FSA)
- Competitive salaries, all-inclusive health care, and equity participation
- A flexible vacation policy along with paid maternal and paternal leave (for fur babies too)
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
- Continuing education including attending conferences