Senior Engineering Manager, Flights
- University degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Mathematics
- Experience managing a team of software engineers
- Thrived in the development of large-scale, robust microservice solutions
- A love for learning and teaching
- Experience in supporting and operating highly available systems
About The Job
- Site Reliability Engineering experience
- GCP or AWS cloud environments experience
- Scala, Java or other JVM based language
We’re looking for a software engineering manager to join our Flights team and transition our core flight travel agency services to a multi-channel shopping, booking and servicing platform. As Hopper evolves from being a mobile app marketplace and starts exploring alternate channels to also offer our best deals to external partners, we’re making some changes under the hood to deliver a fast and reliable user experience! We’re also enabling product innovation, supplier connectivity and enterprise partnership teams by providing them powerful and simple to use APIs and SDKs, so they can focus on what they do best.
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will be directly responsible for leading that transition for Flights systems and fostering a culture of operational excellence. You will be working with a team of experienced software engineers, architects and technical product managers around three main pillars within Flights Marketplace: supply, foundation (shopping & booking) and site reliability engineering. As a leader, you’ll be directly managing a group of software developers, technical leaders and site reliability engineers, establishing effective development and operational support processes, and mentoring members of the team. You’ll also own the technical direction and software architecture definition of our core systems.
- Collaborate closely with a team of engineering and technical product leaders to establish a long term vision, set objectives and build a technical roadmap
- Own design, development and delivery of the Flights platform to ensure Hopper delivers a fast and reliable user experience through extensible, public quality interfaces
- Ensure a highly available and resilient system and foster a culture of operational excellence
- Coach individual contributors and technical leaders and grow them as technologists.
- Grow and retain your team while setting high performance standards
- Be a trusted advisor to our technology leadership and your peers
- Champion the Hopper Leadership Principles
More About Hopper
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer-paid telemedicine, medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a Retirement Savings Plan
Hopper is valued at $3.5bn making us the 5th most valuable travel business in the world. We’re best known as a travel app and we just raised a further $175m from a funding round led by GPI Capital. Our investors also include Goldman Sachs and Capital One for whom we exclusively power their travel portal.
At Hopper, we’re on a mission to build the most customer-centric travel company on earth. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing mobile first travel marketplace - one that enables our customers to save money and travel better. It’s cheaper to purchase travel with Hopper!
Hopper’s goal is to reduce traveler anxiety throughout all stages of the trip buying process. By creating a transparent travel marketplace and unique, data-driven financial technology products focused on providing peace-of-mind, Hopper adds value along each step of the customer’s journey.
Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company three years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 60 million times and sees over 1.9 million new installs per month. Our revenue growth is up 330% versus 2020 as we continue to outperform market recovery .
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants. Come take off with us!