Who we are:
Join on our mission to improve the life and longevity of dogs everywhere. Our canine DNA test — the highest-rated, most accurate on the market — enables us to make scientific advances in personalized pet care. Recently named one of the fastest-growing private companies in America by Inc. Magazine, We are the only canine genetics company using research-grade technology, which allows us to make new scientific discoveries.
Designed by world leaders in dog genetics in partnership with Cornell University, our Dog DNA Test provides information on genetic health risks and breed make-up, allowing dog owners, breeders, and veterinarians to make personalized care plans based on a dog's unique genetic profile. We are also home to the world’s only canine DNA relative finder. No wonder The New York Times recently called our Breed and Health Kit the best dog DNA test available!
Interested in joining our pack? We are looking for highly motivated and mission-driven employees who will join us as we lead the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
About the role:
This is an exciting phase in our growth. Our engineering team is rapidly growing and we are looking for an Engineering Manager to help mentor, hire, and onboard engineers. In this role you will lead a team of 6-8 full-stack web developers, who are responsible for delivering our customer-facing web experiences. This is not a hands-on coding role, but software engineering experience is required. You will report directly to the Sr. Director of Engineering, and work closely with your counterparts in Product, Science, and Marketing.
What you’ll do:
- Hire, manage and develop the engineers on your team
- Partner effectively with product managers and tech leads to maintain and execute against the product roadmap
- Oversee the agile activities of two scrum teams
- Be the primary enabler and advocate for the team by removing impediments, and implementing best practices
- Conduct annual performance reviews, provide consistent and actionable feedback, host regular 1:1s
- Be accountable for the success of the team including progress towards milestones and for successful outcomes for users
What experience we’re looking for:
- 5-plus years software engineering experience, with an additional 2+ years of team management
- Strong track record of delivering high-quality software, in a fast-paced environment, while leading teams of 3 to 6 engineers
- Expertise in agile based development methodologies, and a willingness to align development practices with changing business priorities and roadmaps.
- Strong written and verbal communication, with a bias toward action and follow-through
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to engage and manage internal and external stakeholders across all levels of seniority.
What we can offer:
We might be dog lovers, but we’re passionate about people too. We’re committed to building an inclusive culture where all employees can belong and flourish. Here are some of our benefits and perks:
- A flexible vacation policy so you can take off the time you need when you need it
- Paid maternal and paternal leave (plus paw-ternity leave for new pets)
- Every other Friday off each summer
- Dog-friendly office near South Station, Boston (when we get back to the office), with some flexibility (e.g. work from home at least 2 days a week, flexibility around child care needs, etc)
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized pet insurance and dog-walking services
- Startup perks with big-company benefits (401k match, a generous bonus structure, commuter benefits, top-of-the-line healthcare, HSA/FSA)
- Competitive salaries and equity participation — every employee gets stock options
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
- Continuing education, including attending conferences and company-provided resources to help with individual growth and development