We are the most trusted provider of corporate food solutions – a $300+ billion market in the US alone. We are purpose-built for business. Our corporate food platform, flexible, scalable food solutions allow organizations to centralize and track their food spend, and fulfill everything from daily employee meals to client meetings and company all-hands. We're backed by top investors including Insight, Iconiq, Lightspeed, GIC, SoftBank, and Quadrille, and had an up-round in December of 2021 when we were valued at $1.6 billion.
As we grow rapidly, we are looking for a Director of Engineering to lead the efforts to transform our core E-Commerce experience. We are looking for a customer-obsessed technology leader that thrives in a target-rich environment and is always looking to solve for the customer. We believe that building empowered, customer-obsessed product development teams is the best way to scale our business while solving real problems in our customers’ lives, and you should too. E-Commerce fundamentals will be key to understanding how to best influence our complex marketplace business model through technology, operations, and innovation.
The Director of Engineering, E-Commerce will report to the VP of Demand Engineering and be responsible for coaching and scaling our Marketplace Engineering organization. This director will serve a critical, high-impact role as we look to grow our Marketplace business in a data-driven way. By partnering closely with the Product organization to align teams around core metrics, this role will be pivotal in establishing sustained and repeatable growth for our largest customer base across both web and mobile native products.
What You'll Do:
- Own and drive an inclusive and diverse staffing strategy and overall impact and ROI for the Marketplace Engineering and Mobile orgs. When necessary, get creative with burst staffing needs, including contractors, strategic consultants, and out-sourcing options
- Lead by example and serve as a role model for the company by building a culture of learning, respect, transparency, and trust
- Obsess over customers: partner with product management to leverage market research, user research, data analysis, and user testing that informs product requirements to build the most intuitive, highly performant, simple, and engaging ecommerce web and mobile experience for our customers
- Partner with cross-functional team members from Product, Design, and Marketing to define and deliver against quarterly and annual roadmap initiatives
- Deliver funnel, engagement, and personalization features that drive higher purchase intent and improve conversion and retention
- Manage and identify organizational-wide risk, dependencies, and remove blockers when needed
- Lead, coach, and mentor a team of engineering managers’ and staff engineers’ professional development
- Drive continuous improvement using data and information from teams to identify issues and opportunities. Evangelize and advocate for technical and operational excellence
- Establish KPIs to measure the effectiveness of your teams and impact on key technical and business metrics
- Instill a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, performance, and engineering efficiency through the use of common design patterns and industry best practices.
- Build for scale: Deliver on a roadmap that balances feature development with long-term scaling. Coach teams on making intentional tradeoffs between shortest-path-to-value and experimentation with production-grade implementation and rollout
- Stay on top of the modern ecommerce technology ecosystem and suggest and advocate for integration of 3rd party tools. Own and advocate for build-vs-buy decision making
What You'll Have
- 5-10+ years of experience building highly-scalable, fault-tolerant software solutions, preferably in an ecommerce or SaaS capacity
- Experience across modern front and back-end ecosystems. React and Rails experience required. AWS experience preferred
- Experience with mobile native development a huge plus (iOS, Android, ReactNative, etc.)
- Direct, hands-on experience with some of the following aspects of modern ecommerce technologies: search and recommendations, personalization and merchandising, buying experiences, checkout and payment options, social login and identity, up-sell / cross-sell, loyalty and referral programs
- A metrics-focused mindset. Experience with A|B testing and other experimental methodologies and tools
- Demonstrated success partnering with Product, Design, and Business leadership to build what is best for customers
- Track record of technical leadership via collaboration, mentorship, and leveling up teams