We are seeking a Principal Backend Engineer to help drive forward our product initiatives within our Path™ platform. Working as an integral leader within the development team, the engineer will head all aspects of developing our platform services, APIs, and product capabilities; as well as provide thought leadership, upskilling of less senior engineers, and taking part in defining strategic linkages across the company’s products. This role will report to the VP, Engineering.
In this role you will:
- Lead the platform services engineering team as a technical authority
- Develop and maintain APIs and services for use within our™ Platform
- Collaborate with other development teams and the product owner to define and estimate business requirements and then translate these into specific software tasks
- Hands-on software development in various projects and (minimally JVM) languages.
- Provide exemplary code, structure, design, etc. for the platform services team to use as guidelines
- Document designs, architecture, code
- Conduct code reviews
- Head technical talks on a variety of issues
- Design and implement performant, scalable, and maintainable solutions
- Collaborate as a member of an agile team to get products developed and completed with best-in-class software development
- Coach and mentor members of your team through the variety of interpersonal, technological, and methodological challenges they face day-today
- Coordinate a distributed team across multiple time zones
- 10+ years of experience in full-stack development
- Great communication skills
- End-to-end understanding of modern application architectures
- Big picture orientation with strong attention to detail
- Comfort in dealing with highly abstract concepts and complex architectures is critical for this particular role
- Experience with object-oriented development
- Proficiency in unit and functional testing
- Experience with RESTful API development and integration
- Experience with Java frameworks such as Spring/DropWizard/etc.
- Experience with Docker based microservice architectures
- Experience with MySQL, PostgreSQL or equivalent RDBMS
- Experience with source repositories (git/Bitbucket)
- Experience with functional programming
- Experience with Kotlin/alternate JVM languages
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
Why you’ll like it here:
- We are collaborative at its core. You’ll work within your team and across the organization allowing for continuous learning and discovery.
- We set goals that matter and provide value in all that we do, from building meaningful products to positively impacting carbon reduction and climate change.
- Our mission is to transform complex data into continuously proven information. We are an innovative, trusted data fabric platform, our integrated solutions deliver context-driven insights that enable human networks to spot patterns, correlate trends - and reveal the ground truth hidden inside the world’s most complicated, persistent problems.