We are looking for a hands-on software manager to own our Big Data and Analytics Platform.
We are building the next generation data services and analytics platform to analyze our ever-growing electricity and energy data sets. We are moving from using HBase and Spark to take advantage of the Serverless Architecture using DyanmoDB and Redshift. We ingest GB’s daily and provide a platform for analyzing TB’s. This team, and this role, is at the center of innovation for us. If you love solving scalability puzzles, working with large data sets and have the drive to optimize performance of a high-visibility Energy Intelligence System, then we want to talk to you.
The Development Manager for the Big Data Analytics Platform is uniquely positioned to influence and be involved in the health and performance of our data analytics activities. As a result, this manager will need to work extensively with a wide range of backend engineers, fronted engineers and data scientists throughout the company. Deep technical understanding of large-scale distributed systems, strong communication and organizational skills are critical to the success of this role. Understanding the difference between management and leadership and knowing when to exercise each effectively is also paramount. But most importantly, this manager will need to be able to set a vision for the engineering team, managing their execution and establishing paths towards transformational technical solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to establish a vision and to execute on it
- Exceptional experience in managing engineering teams
- A keen eye for strong engineering talent and building teams
- Comfortable leading initiatives and presenting to large groups
- Internalize what it means to own products, projects and applications
- Fail fast mentality
- Love designing blazingly fast systems
- Excellent technical depth in delivering production-ready distributed systems, system resiliency and scaling
- Proficient background in Java, Scala and other JVM-based languages, or equivalent
- Proven track-record of building fast, reliable, large, multi-threaded, scalable, service-oriented web services
- Mastered understanding of OOP/OOD principles
- Deep understanding of Hadoop and NoSQL systems (HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB, etc)
- Experience deploying to AWS
- Knowledge of Apache Spark a plus
- Previous experience with data analytics, machine learning or data visualization
- Familiar with Publish / Subscribe (pub/sub) messaging systems