You’re a talented database developer who is passionate about coding. You excel at getting from feature request to implementation plan. You go beyond just getting the job done to slaying technical debt and developing code that is well-structured, well commented, and reasonably futureproof. You consistently pay attention both to the details and to the big picture, and you help everyone to keep them in line. You’re at your best when you have real ownership of your projects.
You will join a dynamic team of highly skilled players who are building the best e-commerce platform in the space. You will build software that is actually used by our customers and impacts our bottom line. As part of a team practicing agile development, you will work with a variety of team members, and you will be encouraged to reach into multiple layers of our technology stack while contributing to key projects that will help both us and you grow.
As a Senior Database Developer, you will be expected to grow into architectural and development ownership over significant components of our platform. You will take on interesting architectural and programming challenges, building out new platform features, enhancing our capacity to configure behaviors through metadata, and interfacing our systems with those of our clients and partners. You might even learn a bit about furniture, like what settees and fainting couches are.
Required Skills & Expertise:
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Advanced working knowledge of SQL Server and Microsoft Transact-SQL.
- Ability to investigate and diagnose the unexpected in unfamiliar data and code.
- Develop actionable implementation plans to fulfill change requests, and restructure such plans when requirements and understandings change.
- Develop and implement solutions of high quality and clarity, making sure they meet project requirements.
- Participate effectively in our peer code review process, catching mistakes, offering optimizations, and learning from each other.
- Ensure that your code products are readily accessible to other developers through good use of company naming conventions, in-code comments, and supporting documentation.
- Communicate effectively with team members and with other departments through various media such as email, instant messaging, whiteboard meetings, work tracking tickets, code reviews, and wikis.
- Develop and implement tests to confirm success and reveal defects in developed solutions.
- Observe code release and deployment protocols that coordinate changes and implementations to protect our shared development and production environments.
- Participate effectively in agile ceremonies including standups, sprint planning, and sprint retrospectives.
- Prioritize effort to enable the team to complete sprint goals.
- Code safely to protect the viability of our data resources and systems.
Additional Skills & Expertise of Value:
- Experience with agile/scrum development methodologies
- Experience with ecommerce-related technologies such as shopping cart, faceted search, catalog building, CMS and payment APIs.
- Familiarity with using a source control system, especially git and BitBucket.
- Experience with SSIS
- Experience with Oracle
We strive to create an environment where people with these qualities thrive:
- Good Decision making – You make wise decisions even when things are not clear or when information is missing. You go beyond simply treating symptoms to addressing root causes.
- Supportive Communications – You listen and read with care for maximum understanding before taking action. Even in stressful conditions, you remain calm and capable. When people do not agree with you, you treat them with respect and seek to understand their perspective.
- Productivity – You are biased towards action, with a primary goal of rapidly building and deploying working software in increments that deliver business value. You accomplish an impressive amount of important and relevant work, and do not create unnecessary work for others or yourself. People see that you are consistent in your performance and are comfortable relying on you.
- Entrepreneurial Impact – You challenge the current way of doing things when warranted and suggest better approaches. You generate and share new, useful ideas.
- Boldness – You are not afraid to jump into working on complex projects. You make tough decisions without agonizing, and own these choices, regardless of the outcome. You take smart risks.
- Honesty – You are quick to admit and own your mistakes.
Local candidates only please. Must be eligible to work in the US.
This is an on-site, full-time, permanent position conveniently located in Boston’s historic and beautiful South End. We’re growing and looking for talent to take us to the next level. Our fun and highly collaborative work environment allows our employees to feel supported by the company each and every day. The atmosphere here is friendly and upbeat, and allows each of us to learn from one another as we expand. You have our word: what you do here will matter.
Benefits and perks:
- 100% company-paid health and dental benefits
- 21 days of vacation and 7 paid holidays
- 401(k) contribution matching
- Free gym membership
- 100% paid maternity/paternity leave
- Subsidized commuter expenses
- Fully stocked snack and coffee bar
- Friday happy hour
- Dog-friendly office
- Open layout for collaborative work environment
- Monthly company events and outings
- Casual dress code